Chapter 5 Early Controversies and the Start of the Southern Baptist Convention
1. Should mission and ministry methodologies be limited to those used by the early church? Why or why not?
2. How is the Restorationist movement a recovery of apostolic Christianity? Is its criticism of denominational structures valid?
3. How do we compare the “no creed but Christ” position with the ways the Baptist Faith and Message has been used and amended in recent years?
4. Where are Landmarkist influences still seen in today’s SBC?
5. Considering the non-theological dynamics at work in the establishing of the SBC, were the earliest southern Baptist justified in braking ways from the Triennial Convention? How do their attitudes and actions inform the way we act within our cultures?